You do your research. You follow your intuition and trust your instincts. You think you know what to expect. You’re prepared for this! You’ve been searching and looking for years (in our case, we wanted to wait to adopt until we owned a house with a yard). Then you see him/her – the one!
Now, we were all caught up in the idea of another dog and the personality traits in that we forgot to check one thing. What size the new pup should be. Only on the day of pickup my eyes widened realizing that Molly is the same size (30lbs) as Nikita, but is still a puppy. …Read More about Adopting Nikita and Molly: A Yin and Yang experience – Part 2
It has been a week since we moved to our new home. Strangers appeared on the front lawn. She froze. Gasping, shrinking into her lead watermelon form – rooted into the grass beneath as if the world was tearing away. I silently lowered myself – enveloping her with my arms, breathing in deep to firmly…close …Read More about Adopting Nikita and Molly: A Yin and Yang experience – Part 1
This story is not about blood-related brothers. However, they became brothers by household and bond. The Commitment My husband and I have had Barkley since he was a puppy. Barkley is well socialized, house-trained, and pretty calm and obedient. He loves being around other dogs of any size. Although Barkley is a bit over 9 …Read More about How Barkley Met His Brother: Introducing a rescue to a resident dog
I have worked in the pet/dog business for quite a few years now. I have seen all sorts of dogs in all sorts of situations that I truly thought I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into. Boy. Was. I. Wrong.
Did you know that 70% of FKD dogs who have gone missing or run away have done so under the care of someone other than their family? The remaining 30% were a result of not having the proper safety measures in place. Dogs can back out of collars, contort out of harnesses, and take off …Read More about Safety and Loss Prevention
For years I have suffered on and off with anxiety. A year ago, the anxiety I was experiencing was the worst I’ve ever dealt with, and for a while it took over my life. There was a lot happening in my personal life and I couldn’t handle the changes, good or bad. As a result, …Read More about Moon: the unexpected “therapy dog”
It has been a year since you travelled from Korea (where I was born) to Canada. It took 13 hours travel time and another 3 hours added for customs clearance at the airport. The day you arrived broke the record for the longest time taken at the customs accordingly because one of the flight volunteers …Read More about Hehe, the source of love and joy
After having gone through a tough moment in my life I was looking for something to help me refocus my priorities and bring me some companionship and happiness back into my life. I decided to stop procrastinating with things in my life and take more initiative in discovering my interests; one of them involved raising …Read More about A New Start for Leaf and I
The following is part of a series of interviews with adopters about their rescue pups. This particular interview is with Hyang-Sook and her husband about their dog Hwani whom they rescued almost 16 months ago. Hwani had a rough start to life but with love and patience he is flourishing!
Dear Gamza, (or “my big potato” as I affectionately called you, since your name means ‘Potato’ in Korean)
In March of 2017 I lost my best friend Dudley to lymphoma. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I also lost both my parents at age 60 and the only companion I had left was Dud who I had for almost 15 years. For a while, I struggled with the idea …Read More about A thank you note about Rick